- Public Safety
- Maurice Spear Campus
- Boys Wing Open Unit
Boys Wing Open Unit
Treatment is provided for adjudicated youth in hopes that they will return to the community and be able to achieve success by utilizing the interventions that they have learned. There is a phase system that the residents work through, from learning the rules to addressing their past, along with gaining new skills and planning how to incorporate them into their life once they are released. A level system accounts for their behavior on a daily basis and privileges are set up accordingly.
ResponsibilitiesThere are a variety of chores that the residents are responsible for during their stay. Learning basic living skills is new territory for most of the youth. Their duties include: mopping floors, washing dishes, vacuuming, dusting, doing the laundry, lawn mowing, cleaning bathrooms, making beds, and taking out the trash. Tasks are completed daily or weekly.
ActivitiesThere are many activities available to the residents, including the following:
- Chapel services are offered weekly and all youth have the opportunity to be a part of the choir.
- Community service projects, like raking leaves for the elderly, are done every fall.
- Goodwill Industries partners with MSC to provide work opportunities for the youth.
- Home passes are earned. As the youth progresses with his treatment the length of time increases.
- Off campus privileges include: pro/college sports, movies, bowling, museums, and eating out.
- Residents work at MIS after races and earn monies to go to different events.
- The MSC drum corps practices weekly and all the youth are eligible to perform in local parades.
- The residents are instrumental in planting and tending a garden every year.