COVID UPDATE ON RECORDS SERVICES
Records Unit will reopen to the public on June 8th. In order to maintain social distancing and limit the amount of people waiting in our front lobby, we have made some changes for services:
- DUE TO THE INCREASING NUMBERS OF COVID CASES IN LENAWEE COUNTY AND THE SURROUNDING AREAS, AND TO INSURE THE SAFETY OF THE PUBLIC AND OUR EMPLOYEES, THE SHERIFF'S OFFICE WILL SUSPEND FINGERPRINT APPLICATIONS. WE WILL REEVAULUATE THE CIRCUMSTANCES IN JANUARY 2021. AN ALTERNATIVE FINGERPRINT FACILITY IS: INDENTOGO, 227 N. WINTER ST., ADRIAN, 866-226-2952.
- Private Party Purchase Permit(s) can be obtained by completing the WEAPONS PURCHASE PERMIT application. *A permit is required if the applicant does not have a Concealed License Permit and is purchasing a gun from an individual. A permit is not required if the applicant is purchasing a gun from a licensed dealer. **Note: Purchase Permits will no longer be available immediately, there will be at least a 24hr. wait time.
- Purchase permits or gun sales records can be placed in a drop box in the Front Lobby or mailed to the Sheriff’s Office at 405 N. Winter St. Adrian, MI 49221.
- Copies of Complaint or Crash Reports can be requested either by mail or through the county website.
- The Freedom of Information form (FOIA) is available online.
We would like to encourage the public to call to confirm that they have everything that they need for us to assist them in a timely manner before they make the trip to the Sheriff's Office. The Records Unit can be reached by phone at 517-263-0524 ext. 2052 or by email at email@example.com.
Lieutenant Dustin Reckner
The Records Division is staffed by four clerks, under the supervision of the Lieutenant and is responsible for the orderly keeping and efficient processing of all department incident reports, firearm permits and registrations, fingerprints for identity purposes, background checks, sex offender registrations, accident reports, jail payments, traffic citations and requests.
Once a report is received, the Records Division’s function is to enter case information into the computer. This allows Sheriff’s Office personnel future access to specific information in each case. It also allows incident and accident reports to be retrieved and made available upon request to the public through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
Freedom of Information Act Request Form
If you are requesting records from the Sheriff’s Office, please choose one of the following methods:
* Call: 517-263-0524 x2031,
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
* Fax request to: 517-265-2284
* Mail request to 405 N. Winter St., Adrian, MI 49221
Gun Permits and Registrations
Gun permits can be purchased at the Records Division, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. The cost is $5. If you are purchasing a gun from an individual and do not have a CPL then you are required to obtain a permit from the Sheriff’s Office or any law enforcement agency that covers your jurisdiction. If you are purchasing a gun from a dealer or you have a CPL then a permit is not required.
Gun registrations can be dropped off anytime Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Or mail to the Sheriff’s Office.
LiveScan (Electronic) Fingerprinting
The Sheriff’s Office provides LiveScan fingerprinting Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., on a first come first serve basis, a valid ID is required. The cost is between $40 - $56.50, depending on what the fingerprint check is for. Please contact the Records Division to determine the cost of fingerprinting. For new or renewing CPL applicants, the cost is $15.00.
Ink fingerprinting is done by appointment only. Please call 517-264-5368 to make an appointment. The cost is $5.00 for the first card and $3.00 for any duplicate cards. Please bring a valid photo identification and any fingerprint cards if you were provided with them. The Sheriff’s Office does provide Michigan State Police RI-8 cards for your use. You do not need to be a Michigan resident to be printed by the Sheriff’s Office.
Traffic Crash Reports
A traffic crash report completed by the Lenawee County Sheriff’s Office can be obtained online or in person. Reports can be obtained at the Records Division at 405 N. Winter St., Adrian, Michigan, during regular business hours, Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. There is a $5 charge for traffic crash reports obtained in the Records Division.
NOTE: Copy of reports of crashes that occur on private property/in parking lots are automatically mailed out to the driver of the vehicle within one week.
To request a copy of a traffic crash report online, please click on the CLEMIS On-Line Traffic Crash Reports on the left side of this page. Make sure you have the nine (9) digit complaint number (i.e. 19000xxxx).