The word Lenawee ("LEN-a-way") comes from the Shawnee Indian word meaning "Indian". While most of Lenawee County is farmland, industrial business is growing, and the area known as The Irish Hills has been a popular tourist destination for many generations. There are over 50 lakes in the county, and nearly all of them were created by the retreating glaciers that once covered most of North America.
Broken off from the western portion of Monroe County in 1826, Lenawee County was the eighth county formally organized in the Michigan Territory (later the state of Michigan in 1837). The county seat was moved from Tecumseh to Adrian in 1837, and the original courthouse was built but burned down in 1852. The current courthouse was completed in 1885 and stands near downtown Adrian.
Today, Lenawee County citizens are served by a nine-member Board of Commissioners and according to the 2010 census, the population is 99,892.